November 25, 2011
There are many ways to celebrate National Awareness Adoption Month this November. Here are just a few examples:
- Plan a Fundraiser or Attend an Adoption Fundraiser: There are many ways to support the cause of orphan care and adoption. November is a great month to bring your community together for the cause raising funds to donate to parents that are in the adoption process needing assistance with funding or donating to a non-profit that supports orphan care and adoption. You could host a holiday cookie swap asking friends and family to make a donation to participate or as you send out holiday cards you may consider requesting donations to be donated. These are just two examples, but this is a great opportunity to get creative with fundraising.
- Read an Adoption Themed book to your child(ren): There are some great books on adoption for both kids and adults. Some recommended children’s books from our staff include:
- A Blessing from Above by Patti Henderson
- Over the Moon: An Adoption Tale by Karen Katz
- We Wished for You: an Adoption Story by Marianne Richmond
- Learn, Use, and Teach Positive Adoption Language to Others: As adoptive parents and adoption advocates it is our job to promote adoption as a positive and proactive way to build a family. Using positive adoption language teaches others by example of the appropriate words when speaking about adoption. See a few examples below:
- Positive Language Negative Language
- Birth Parent Real Parent
- International adoption Foreign adoption
- Make an adoption plan Give up a child
- Learn About Cultures: Visit your local multicultural centers, museums or special events to learn more about the cultures of others.
- Take a few minutes to give THANKS this Thanksgiving weekend for how adoption has touched your life!