Samoa is an island nation located in the South Pacific, with the closest neighbor being New Zealand. Due to its remoteness, many people have not heard of it and locating it on a map may be difficult. Despite it’s small population, approximately 200,000, there continues to be a need for adoptive families to open their homes to a child in need.
Samoa, just as all countries across the globe, has a population of orphaned children in need of forever families. Children are orphaned in Samoa for a variety of reasons including poverty-stricken parents unable to provide for them, death or incarceration of birth parents or children removed due to an abusive home environment. Because of its small size and limited resources, international adoption is often the only option for children in Samoa who are not able to be raised by their birth parents.
Samoa is a great option for families exploring international adoption. Its adoption requirements offer an opportunity not only for married couples, but also for singles seeking to build their families. As options for single parent families dwindle, Samoa proves to be a viable country program for singles to adopt the child or sibling group they wish to complete their family
Who should consider adopting from Samoa?
- Married couples; there is no marriage length requirement set by Samoan adoption law
- Singles are permitted to adopt from Samoa
- Families adopting from Samoa should be open to children up to the age of 4 years old or older
- Families who have previously adopted from other countries in Asia, such as Vietnam or Cambodia, who are looking to expand their families and provide a sibling to an adopted child already in the home, Samoan children are of Asian-Pacific descent
- Families who do not qualify for other country programs, due to the number of children already in their home. Samoa has no restriction on the number of children residing in your home.
- Families looking for an ethical and transparent adoption process. Samoa has a legal process that ensures the best interest of the child is considered prior to granting the adoption of the child
- Canadian families are welcomed to adopt from Samoa. MLJ Adoptions has open spots in the Samoa program for both American and Canadian families. We are in the process of assisting two Canadian families pursue international adoption from Samoa.
Located in the South Pacific, traveling to Samoa may feel more like a vacation. It is a great place to meet your child for the first time and spend special one on one bonding time in a beautiful island paradise. Only one trip is required during your adoption process to bring your adopted child home and there are no extended stays in country. Your stay in country is approximately one week. For U.S. families an additional week in Auckland, New Zealand is also required for visa processing.
Our Samoa program has been up and running for several years and we have successfully matched children in need with their loving families. Twenty-two children have joined their forever families from Samoa since MLJ Adoptions started the program in 2007.
For more information on adopting from Samoa, please contact us.