Each year, November is recognized as National Adoption Awareness Month. It is a time when state government, communities, businesses and organizations celebrate adoption as a positive proactive way to build a family. It is a great time to celebrate family and spread adoption awareness. Here are a few small ways that you can promote adoption awareness in your home and in your community:
1. Breaking Down Stereotypes
: Take some time to share your adoption story with others. The best way to advocate is to dispel stereotypes that often accompany stories surrounding adoption. Write a blog and submit it to MLJ Adoptions, Inc.
, we would love to hear your story and share it with others!
2. Starting a Tradition: Create a family tradition that recognizes the unique way that adoption touches your family. Doing anything as a family will work: Family Movie Night, Family Game Night, Family Journaling, etc.
3. Talk to Your Church
: There is no better place to network and spread the word about children in need of a home than at your place of worship. Speak to your church leaders about spreading the message of hope for children waiting for a forever family. If your church allows, ask if the Fatherless Foundation
can provide information to your congregation, they would be happy to assist you.
4. Learn About Cultures: Visit your local multicultural centers. There are several centers around the state of Indiana, many are conveniently located on University campuses.
5. Talk to your Human Resource Department
: Unfortunately employers do not often consider adoption as the same as giving birth, consequently families generally are not permitted to take the same amount of time off work as parents who have a biological child. Advocate for an adoption friendly workplace
by speaking the Director of your Human Resources Department about ways they can fairly accommodate those choosing to build their families through adoption.
6. Cooking for Culture: There is just something about cooking that brings a family together. It is a great time to try a new recipe that celebrates your family’s diversity.
: If you have any toys or gently worn clothing, donate them to those in need. Several MLJ Team members
as well as volunteers are traveling to Nicaragua
to visit orphanages from November 24-27 and will be taking donations for the orphans that we are going to visit. Contact Sonja@MLJadoptions.com
if you would like to donate.
8. Take a few minutes to give THANKS this Thanksgiving for how adoption has touched your life!