For families who are fundraising for their adoption, creating an adoption account through their local church can be beneficial to raising the necessary funds for an adoption process. The benefits of establishing an adoption account are twofold. First, it allows donations given to this account to be tax-deductible. Second, it also gives the local church the opportunity to come alongside a family in their adoption journey and have a part in the James 1:27 mandate. As a church partners with a family on their adoption journey, other families may prayerfully consider how God has called them to care for the orphan, either through child sponsorship, Safe Families or adoption.
Establishing an adoption account through a church is legal and requires no funding from the church budget, but it must be in accord with the church’s Constitution and By-Laws. The process will vary from church to church. The following example is based on our church constitution.
Simple steps to set-up an adoption account:
- The governing deacon board approves the creation of this sub-account for the adoptive family, ex. “Smith Adoption Fund”.
- The pastor brings the creation of this sub-account to the congregation in a business meeting for approval. The congregation votes on the issue recording it into the church’s minutes.
- If approved, the treasurer creates the adoption account very similar to a missions account.
- Monies can then be written to the church designated to the adoption account.
- When a payment is due to the adoption agency or money is needed for adoption travel, checks can be written to the agency or to the adoptive family from the church. For accountability purposes, we chose to have checks sent directly to the adoption agency.
- I suggest that the adoptive family assists the church in making sure donors receive tax deduction slips. I offered to prepare and mail the receipts myself to ease the burden for the treasurer. This also allows the adoptive family a list of donors to thank for their contribution to the family’s adoption journey.
Following these simple steps, families are often surprised by how much support for their adoption process, both financial and emotional, they can find in their church community!
Camie will be offering her Affording Adoption seminar in our downtown Indianapolis offices on Saturday, May 16th at 9:30am. RSVP here.
Photo by Janaka Dharmasena