MLJ Adoptions hosts several adoption related events throughout the year. In the fall, we had our annual Eastern European Open House, and as always, it has been one of the highlights of my year! I enjoy meeting new client families face-to-face, catching up with families who are in the middle of the process, and of course, seeing the beautiful faces of the children who have come home! I mentioned to a few families that if I could make this a mandatory event, I would, due to its many benefits. It is such a time of encouragement to me and to the families who attend. One of the families told me how much they enjoyed the event, and how valuable they thought it was, and when I asked them why, this was their response. I couldn’t have said it better myself:
- To know that you’re not alone, and that all the crazy thoughts are normal!
- To see that these kids are like any other kids. All the books and articles can make international adoption sound scary, but they’re just trying to prepare you for the curve balls (and adoption, like life, is full of curve balls!)
- To see that these families are families regardless of genetics. We met a family whose kids had only been home for three months, and already called her “Mom.” It made me really emotional to see that they were already interacting like that.
- To know that there are people there for you, a true support system to help you through the process.
- But most of all, it’s wonderful to see the normalcy of these parents and children interacting. The families who had brought children home already looked, acted and felt like regular families- because they are!
These are just some of the reasons why it’s so important to be part of an adoption community! The normalcy it creates for families and children, the support system of others who have “been there and done that,” and the reminder of what all the work is for- all of these are invaluable.
MLJ Adoptions is hosting a Meet & Greet in Central Pennsylvania on July 6th. We’d love to meet you!
To view upcoming MLJ Adoptions’ events, in Indianapolis and in other locations, visit our Events Page.