Father’s Day is this Sunday and we wanted to recognize all of our adoptive fathers. Often the international adoption process is driven by mothers and fathers take a backseat. But their role in the process is essential to producing adoption success stories. Here are five reasons we think adoptive dads are superheroes.
- International adoption is not for the faint of heart! Dads excel at tracking the details, gathering the resources needed to keep the adoption process moving forward and supporting mom throughout the arduous process.
- Adoptive fathers provide a strong example to their adoptive children of a genuine caring father figure. Many times, kids who have come from hard places have not had a positive relationship with their father. In fact, they may not have had any example in their lives of a kind paternal figure.
- Adoptive fathers take the time to play with their adoptive children – wrestling, going to the park or throwing a ball out in the backyard. Through play, children can use up some of their excess energy and at the same time feel valued and appreciated.
- An adoptive dad can be tough when he needs to be (He survived the international adoption process, didn’t he?). He sticks to his principles even when it is difficult. When children see that Dad always values integrity over expediency or comfort, they will embrace integrity as well.
- Adoptive fathers serve as tireless advocates for their children. They will fight for every precious inch of progress and they will never give up on their children, no matter how many bumps in the road may appear. This is what every child deserves.
We are fortunate indeed to count amongst our families so many generous and caring adoptive fathers willing to give children in need their name and a loving, permanent home. Thank you, Dads, for all you do. We hope that your Father’s Day is filled with joy and laughter.